Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fig Newtons and Mass Watchers

I hate Tuesdays and Thursdays. I usually refer to them as Terrible Tuesdays and Terrible Thursdays simply because I despise them so much. I secretly hope it hurts their feelings. (The ONLY good thing about Tuesdays is the CSA $2 Tuesday Night Dinner. Real, delicious food? Yes, please.) Anyway, I start my Tuesdays and Thursdays with an 8 am physical science class that is in the middle of NO WHERE and takes 10-15 minutes to walk to. The best part? The entire walk is uphill. Lucky me! Every Tuesday and Thursday, as I am literally falling out of my lifted bed, I ask myself, "Self, why the HELL would you schedule an 8 am class that's located in East Jesus?" The only response I can think to give myself is, "Because, Self, you are the DUMBEST PERSON EVER." But I will admit that on the days I get up on time, have 3 cups of coffee, and the weather is nice, the walk is somewhat enjoyable. It was 58 degrees when I left my dorm at 7:40 this morning, so I had a nice 15 minutes of coffee/Benjy Davis bonding time on my way to class.

I got to class on time, I didn't have to run, AND my hair was dry because I actually had enough time to use that awesome invention known as the hair dryer. I was feeling pretty accomplished. My naive, sleep deprived self even thought You know what? This Terrible Tuesday might not be so terrible after all. (Did you just laugh, shake your head, and call me stupid? I did, too.) Then my (really cute) teacher started talking and my dreams of a good Terrible Tuesday went down the drain. The same drain my Physical Science grade (and sanity) is going to end up going down.

Physical science is nothing but physics. I don't even know why they call it physical science! On the first day of class my teacher said, "They call this class physical science, but it's basically a physics class. All we are going to do in this class is physics, so I hope you like math." So, being a person with a geeky, intense love for math, I was excited! I LOVE math. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread and the New York Yankees! Sometimes when I'm bored in class or laying in bed at night, I make up equations in my head and solve them. It's something/one of the only things I'm good at. Obviously when Josh Winter said, "I hope you like math," he REALLY meant, "I hope you like a bunch of stupid crap that I'm going to call math, but when I teach it to you it's really going to sound like someone is talking to you in German." I don't understand it. What's even worse is that I don't understand why I don't understand. It just makes NO SENSE!

There are so many stupid words like velocity, inertia, net force, mass, and weight. Then there are confusing things like the fact that mass and weight aren't the same thing. My teacher went on a hilarious rant about the fact that Weight Watchers should be called Mass Watchers, because you're actually trying to lose mass, not weight. Wanna know what mass and weight are to me? Mass is where I go to praise Jesus every Sunday, and weight is what I gain when I go home for Labor Day weekend during a tropical storm and my mom has nothing to do but cook and bake! Also, I hate that stupid Newton guy. The only kind of newton I like is the fig kind. Sigh.

So, there's that. I know this particular post isn't very convincing, but I still love college. A LOT. I love that I love it so much! My other classes are fine, my physical science lab starts this week (gag), and I have my first test in every class next week. Terrified doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about that. But thankfully I have my wonderful friends and my awesome Critz 1st floor girls. We have become a legit little family and I LOVE it! I have no idea what I would do without them. I have to study and do most of my homework in the library, because it's impossible to get anything done at my dorm. We all like each other too much, so it's easy to get distracted. Jen and I are taking a road trip to Auburn this weekend to meet up with our friends Sebastian and Jill for the MSU/Auburn game! I'm so excited. I love road trips!

I can hear my physics homework calling my name, trying to suck my soul. Hanging myself with my computer cord sounds more enjoyable, but I was told it's illegal to tie a noose. Who knew. Do you think eating Fig Newtons while dealing with this physics nonsense will help? :)

PS- This is just one example of the many amusing things that come with community bathrooms. Those RA's are so clever ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment