Monday, February 27, 2012

Elevators, CSA, and Sunshine

Hellllllo, my sweet blog peeps! I am getting really bad at keeping up with this thing. 2012 has just been completely insane for me! I feel like I've been on the Tower of Terror since this year started. I know a lot of people love that ride, but I HATE it. I hate it so much that I had to underline the word hate so you can fully understand my feelings towards that ride. But anyway, that's my analogy. The Tower of Terror. My elevator of life has been bringing me to the very tippy top which is wonderful. Despite my intense fear of heights, I love the tippy top! The tippy top includes everything wonderful: making As on quizzes by pure luck, mom's fabulous recovery, losing 10 lbs which puts me back at my pre-college weight (Thank. You. Baby. Jesus.), keeping my embarrassing moments to a minimum, & just having lots of reasons to be very happy. Then, as soon as I get comfortable.. BAM. Elevator of life drops 13 stories. But ya know, that's life. All I can do is enjoy the tippy top while I'm there. :)

This past weekend, the tippy top was located in Durant, Mississippi. Never heard of it? I hadn't either. But that's where the CSA Statewide Spring Retreat was held, so on Friday I, along with my sweet CSA fam, went for a nice little drive until we arrived at Holmes County State Park. This retreat was for Catholic college students in Mississippi. There were people from MSU, USM, DSU, MUW, and Ole Miss. I knew it would be a nice little getaway, but the whole weekend ended up being so much more incredible than I expected. Between the talks, nature walks, and late night discussions that lasted until 2am.. I made so many new friends and got so much closer to my Starkville CSA family! The weather was beautiful and everything was simply perfect. I spent my entire weekend laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and smiling until my face hurt. It's nice to know that there's a place you always belong, you know? It's so wonderful to walk into the parish hall on Tuesdays for Tuesday Night Dinner and be greeted with lots of hugs and smiles. I can't imagine going through my first year of this crazy and slightly overwhelming adventure without those amazing people and their HUGE hearts! If any of you are reading this, I am so thankful for you guys and I love you all more than you know!

"For when two or three gather in my name, there I am with them." -Matthew 18:20


















In other news, well.. life is life. Lent has started. I know it's supposed to be a sacrifice, but it's killing me. I gave up eating after 8pm and cussing. When I'm hungry and it's after 8, I drink water. It makes me feel like I'm starving myself since I'm not used to it, but I am 100% positive that I am not undernourished. I've slipped on the cussing a few times, but I'm trying really hard! It's become so subconscious that I don't even realize I'm doing it. It's that bad. Sigh. I've been keeping up with my going to the gym/eating healthy thing. My eating habits have changed drastically and going to the gym has become part of my daily routine. I don't even think about it anymore, I just go. I love it! I feel great and I don't want to completely die every time I pass a mirror. When I'm feeling unmotivated, I watch that TLC show called My 600 lb Life. Works like a charm.

Anyway, school is school, and my biggest problem this semester is my procrastination. Go figure. Example: It is currently 2:39 am. I have homework, reading to do for class, a midterm on Tuesday, and a midterm in about 12 hours. I'm blogging instead of doing any of the things I just listed. Oops. My classes aren't overwhelming this semester and that makes me (and my sanity) so very happy. The most overwhelming thing that has occurred so far was having to watch and analyze a childbirth in Developmental Psychology. My dreams of having children have been crushed and I'm no longer allowing boys to come within five feet of me. Just kidding. :) But seriously, if you have baby fever.. hit me up. I can help you with that. I do NOT have baby fever in any way, but those sweet little people never fail to make my heart smile. If there is one thing I'm absolutely sure of, it's that I want to be surrounded by 25-30 of them every single school day for 180 days of the year. Their minds and feelings are so simple, yet so incredible. They are so smart and they don't even realize it. Some of the BEST things said to me last week came from the mouth of a child under the age of 6. Prepare to smile and say, "Awww!" I promise you will. If you don't, your heart is ICE COLD and you should get that checked out.

6 y/o: Ms. Alexa, I REALLY like him. I know so cause my face hurts.
Me: Your face hurts...?
6 y/o: Ya, cause he makes me smile a lot.. DUH. But he doesn't want to be my boyfriend right now. He's a boy.. but he makes as much sense as my baby sister when she talks. That means he makes no sense at ALL. He just sounds like this. (insert weird noises here)
Me: I hear ya, sister. Don't worry though, you have plenty of time to find a good boyfriend. I bet there are tons of cuties on that 1st grade hall!
6 y/o: Oh no.. I'm going to wait for him. I have to, Ms. Alexa.
Me: Oh yeah? Why's that?
6 y/o: Lots of reasons. He shares his fruit snacks with me! And he tells me his secrets at recess! And.. well.. he makes me feel like.. like sunshine. You can't just let someone like that go. (loud sigh) Don't you adults know anything?

I mean.. COME ON, PEOPLE. She said the boy makes her feel like SUNSHINE. It just doesn't get much cuter than that. Actually, it did five minutes later when she told me that if there's someone that makes me feel like sunshine, I need to "hold my horses and ponies because mama says good things take time" and I must share my fruit snacks. So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years... :)

So there you go. I hope your elevator is keeping you at the tippy top and that you are surrounded by people that make you feel like sunshine. :) As for me, I will be waiting to see where my elevator of life takes me next. Hopefully it takes me somewhere that sells patience and that special power that grown ups and mommys have. You know, the one that suddenly turns you into a wise grown up that knows how to make big girl decisions and stuff. I need a huge plate of that with a side of patience and xanax. ;) Until then, I'll just continue to be my indecisive, impatient, 18 year old self. Besides, I know that if I hold on a little longer, my elevator will eventually find its way back to the tippy top again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment