Friday, January 27, 2012

2012 vs Alexa: Stairs, Hospitals, & Conquering The World

Hellllllo 2012! No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. I know all (4? Or are we down to 2 now?) of you were wondering, since you couldn't possibly have anything better to think about. :) I've just been busy keeping up with my normal life. You know.. doing school work, keeping up with my family, and embarrassing myself. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I started this year like every other person on the planet. "New year! New me! Last year tried to kick my butt and THEN tried to run me over, but not this year.. no sir! It's going to be different! I'm going to be skinnier, happier, and conquer the worrrrrrld!"

......yeah. Are you already laughing and shaking your head? Well, ANYWAY, my New Year's Resolutions were to be a better person, get skinny, and take some risks. Now, slow your roll and don't start rolling your eyes just yet! I don't think I'm a terrible person or anything, I just think I can be better! Especially the whole cussing thing. What can I say.. I'm Italian! It comes naturally. ;) And when I say get skinny, I'm not looking for people to say, "Oh my gaaahhh, shut up, you are so skinny." Umm. No. I just mean get healthier and lose the stupid weight I've gained since I started college. It's not about the number though, it's just about feeling good about myself. A few of the girls on my hall are doing the same, so that's made it easier. I've been eating healthy, counting calories, and going to the gym every day! I can practically hear my body screaming mean things at me, but it will thank me when bathing suit season rolls around. Sigh.

As far as the taking risks thing goes, I'm not going to jump off a building or ride a motorcycle through a flaming hoop. I just want to take advantage of opportunities when they come up. Whenever something really good starts to happen, I freak out and run away from it. Why? I DON'T KNOW. I just have a really good relationship with my comfort zone. I'm like the Runaway Bride! Except I'm not Julia Roberts. And I'm not leaving people at the altar. I love that movie. Whatever, you get the point. Where was I going with this? Oh, right.. 2012. Goodbye 2011, hello nice, skinny, risk-taking, world-conquering Alexa.

Ha. Ha. HA. It's always nice to think that the new year is going to be insanely different than the previous year, but 2012 has not been insanely life altering yet. I'm still saying bad words (but I'm trying to stop, I SWEAR! ....Ha. I swear. And I'm talking about cussing. Get it?), and I still start my weeks with terrible Mondays that include things like a stylish carpal tunnel brace and falling down a flight of stairs in the IED building in front of a random boy. Yes, sadly that actually happened. My phone went flying, my bookbag fell, I hit my head, and landed on my wrist. Oh yes, it was even the carpal tunnel wrist that already hurt like hell. (I know carpal tunnel is for old people. I'm special. Go me.) Would you expect anything less? The random guy looked like one of those too-cute-to-be-nice boys, but he was actually sweet. He picked up all of my stuff and sat with me until I was ready to get up and walk. I am a pro at embarrassing myself.

Even after that, I still had hope for 2012! My classes are great, I have been blessed with the greatest friends, my Critz girls mean the world to me, and I have accepted the fact that being able to embarrass myself as much as I do is pure talent. :)

Call mom, take a long walk, and laugh it off.. right? Right. As soon as I laugh in 2012's face.. BAM. A "call me when you can" text from Dad turns into a "mom is having surgery/in the hospital" phone call which turns into a "THISROADISNEVERENDING" 4-hour drive home. I came home to a messy house, empty fridge, and an exhausted daddy. He hasn't left her side since they got to the hospital late Tuesday night. Talk about some true love. :) When Mom goes down, we ALL go down. I cleaned, went grocery shopping, and have been playing Mommy all day. Not that I mind, it's nice to feel needed and be able to help my parents out as much as I can. I've already made friends with the uncomfortable hospital bench in the room. It's 3am and I'm beyond exhausted, but too worried to sleep. I don't know how my mom cleans, works, worries, drives, cooks, AND functions like this every day while smiling, fighting off my sister's 16 year old attitude, and checking on her 2 babies that are on their own. She's the greatest person I know. I hope I can do all of those things like her when I grow up.

It's super sucky to watch your poor mommy suffer. Especially when you know you have to go back to being 4 hours away in a few days. Sigh. My mom just can't stand if things start to get a little boring at Casa de Cacibauda. :)

Carpal Tunnel. Stairs. Hospitals. Playing Mommy. 2012 has a head start, but I still want to conquer the world and save the day! Or at least save my mommy from this nonsense. For now, I'll just count my blessings. :) Pray/think happy thoughts/do magic/practice voodoo spells for us. Especially my mom. We need it! Love and hugs!

PS- If you actually read all of this, thanks! But you probably need a new hobby. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment