Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Closing Time

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

Oh, Semisonic, I just love you. Partially because your song, Closing Time, now reminds me of Justin Timberlake thanks to the movie Friends With Benefits, but also because you throw lines like that at me at appropriate times! My new beginning is almost here! I move up to Starkville August 10th. Next Wednesday. Yep, the Wednesday that is only A WEEK AWAY. I'm insanely excited, but I don't think my tiny brain can wrap itself around the whole college concept. My mom and I had the following conversation during one of my college panic attacks:

Me: MOM. I don't know how I'm supposed to think of this whole college thing! Is it like moving out for good, or more like a realllllly long sleepover?!
Mom: More like a really long sleepover. Or like an extended sleep-away camp!
Me: Oh yeah, because sleep-away camps always worked out SO well for me.

I've only been to one sleep-away camp. I was in 6th grade, it was only for like four nights, and I cried almost every day. BUT, for two summers in a row now, I have been to a summer Catholic convention that was held at Notre Dame and I was fine. So I should be fine for at least a week!

I don't really care about leaving Ocean Springs, and I truly don't care if I never see most of the people I went to high school with again. What I DO care about is leaving the awesome friends I've made through my church activities. All of the many hilarious, exhausting weekends we spent together cutting endless amounts of leaves, working on convention decorations, spirit mover skits, and balloon bash games. The game nights, the parties at the Krause House, and the 18 hour bus ride to ND that turned into a 24 hour bus ride. I'll definitely miss that. I can't wait to do it all again as an adult with my own cyo!

And I really, really, REALLY care about leaving my huge, crazy, amazing family. Why did I have to grow up with such a wonderful, close extended family?! I know I'm only going 4 hours away and can pretty much come home whenever I want, but still. I'm going to miss having midnight cereal dates with my little sister, and making her let me sleep in her room when I watch something scary. I'll miss staying at my Aunt Charlene's just because. Or the random nights when Uncle Dennis, Aunt Rosemary, Andy, Tiffany, and sweet Isabella stop by and we just sit in the living room and talk. Or driving over to see Kellie and baby Layla simply because they only live 10 minutes away. It's the little things, people!

It's not just the little things though, it's also the little-things-that-are-actually-big-things too. Like the fact that I ALWAYS know when Zoe enters/leaves her room because her door sticks and makes a loud noise. Or the fact that I always know when my dad is coming in the door from work because I recognize the sound of his shoes, and what it sounds like when he hangs up his keys. Or the same right-before-bed conversation my mom and I have been having for as long as I can remember. "Good night, Mom." "Good night, babe. Love you." "Love you too."

Now I'm going off to big girl school where things are going to be super different. Super fun, but still different. I know I'll be perfectly fine once I get up there and realize just how much fun it's going to be! Since I'm a Cacibauda, I hate when things change. This is going to be a really awesome, fun change.. but I'm still nervous! Although I'm uncertain about the next 4 years of my life, there are a few things I'm completely certain about; things that I know will never change. For example:

Zoe will always have her mouth open in the majority of our pictures.












When I started pre-school, I thought my brother was the best person in the whole world. Now I've ended high school, and I still secretly think the same thing.












I will always admire my mom more than anyone in the whole world. She can draw, paint, make costumes, sell houses, and pretty much do anything and everything.. but she's always been the best at being a mom. I want to be just like her when I grow up.



My dad will always call me Peas, because he's said I'm his "sweet pea" since I was little. I'm 18, and have to catch myself from turning my head anytime someone says the word peas. ...I'm not a huge fan of the vegetable.












It will always take my mom forever to get a decent Christmas picture.












And I will ALWAYS remember that I was given the best childhood ever.
Time for a new adventure :) Mississippi State, here I come!




















For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are precious! I hate people who say 'precious' but I couldn't think of a better word!!! Even more than having a nearly six year old daughter, knowing you makes me really feel like I've been alive for 29 years. I mean, I KNEW you in those pictures! And now you're a grown up!

    College will be wonderful. Scary, different, fun, excited, exhausting, scary, and fun. You will have a blast, because you are a fun person. It's easy peasy. You like how I threw that in there?

    And hey, wanna know something? You are a good writer! A lot of people blog (at least, in the grown up world. You're the only YOUNGSTER blogger I know) and they're just saying things, but you are actually WRITING them, like as a writer. It's hard to explain, but there's a DEFINITE difference.

    Oh, speaking of DEFINITE and in preparation for your college English classes, I'm gonna post you this HILARIOUS link for spelling mistakes. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete