Friday, July 15, 2011

I Solemnly Swear That I Am In Denial

7 midnight book releases, 8 midnight movie premieres, trips to Harry Potter World, wands, dueling, chocolate frogs, awful British accents.. HARRYPOTTERISMYLIFE. I refuse to believe that it's over.

One of my all-time favorite HP memories happened in July 2007. My family was on vacation in Destin, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was going to be released while we were there. We ALWAYS went to every book release at midnight to get the new book, so being in Destin wasn't going to stop us! We found a Walmart and waited in line to get two copies of the new book. (Two copies because my mom, JT, and I were all going to be fighting over this book.) We were walking through Walmart, and I had the wonderful, just-released book in my hands. I opened the book and came across the dedication page. (By the way, at this point, Zoe hadn't read the books yet. She was pretty young.) The last part of the dedication says, "and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end." I read that out loud and then turned to Zoe and, being the mean big sister I am, said, "Well, Zoe, I guess this book isn't dedicated to you!" :) Zoe's jaw dropped, and our family laughed for a good ten minutes.

Saying my family is obsessed is a bit of an understatement. Harry Potter is very much a part of Casa de Cacibauda. We went to Harry Potter World the week after it opened. Once we got home with our wands, my siblings and I ran around the house casting spells on each other. We were 21, 17, and 14. Yes, really. I grew up wanting to be Hermione Granger SO bad, and Santa ALWAYS put Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans in our stockings. It was SO real to me. I've read every book too many times to count. It was always a race to see who could finish the new book first, and JT and I would hide it from each other when we weren't reading it so the other couldn't find it and get ahead. PS- In case you're wondering, I finished Deathly Hallows first. :)

I get REALLY attached to the characters in the books I read. I always have.. it's really weird. Since Harry Potter is such a long series, you can imagine how attached I've become to the characters. Part 2 of the 7th movie was certainly not a disappointment, and it was weird knowing it was the last one. And, unfortunately, I ended up being THAT girl. Cried through it, when it was over, and when I got in my car to go home at 2:30 am. I've read millions of books and watched them turn into movies, but nothing has touched me like HP has!

If you haven't read Deathly Hallows, READ IT. The movie will make much more sense, and there was still so much information left out even though it was split into two parts. READ THE BOOK.

The books and movies are over, but Harry Potter will always hold a very special place in Casa de Cacibauda. There are books, movies, tshirts, posters, ornaments, wands, candy, and a hole in the wall upstairs to prove it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment