Friday, March 29, 2013

Five Things Friday: Springing into.. Winter?

1) What a lovely winter we are having this spring.
Is anyone else tired of seeing that all over Facebook and Twitter? I am, but it makes sense to use for this paragraph. Anyway. It's really cold. I LOVE cold weather, and I HATE Mississippi's summers. (And springs, falls, and winters, because we don't really have seasons.) But oh my WORD, it's the end of March and it's currently 30 degrees. I can't get that kind of weather at Christmas, but I can get it during spring when it's supposed to be sunny and breezy? What the WHAT? The only reason I hate it is because really cold weather and no sunshine = no hour-long recess for my 4 year olds. And on the days it's not too cold, it rains. Which means we are stuck inside for days or weeks at a time. Which means they go CRAZY. Which means I go home and rock in a corner for an hour.

Just kidding. I'm being dramatic. And I love them. On Tuesday, I was in our art center coloring with two of the girls. Suddenly, one of them got up and ran across the room while yelling AAAHHHH! and then came back and sat down like nothing happened. So I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and kept coloring. I mean, a kid's gotta do what a kid's gotta do.

Ms. Alexa and her Pandas would really like some sunshine and a nice breeze. Help a teacher out.



(This is how my kids and I feel about never being able to go outside and play. Mostly me.)

2) My beautiful, incredible, sweet, amazing mom turned 30 on Monday.
Even though her oldest child is 23. Having a child at age 7 is just one of her many talents. Last year I explained how I think of my mom as my built-in best friend. Like my brother and sister. Yeah, we all share the same blood and stuff, but they also became my most trustworthy best friends just by being born. Whether they like it or not. But let's bet honest- they love it. :) My mom is what today's world calls an "over-achieving mom." I grew up thinking she was just doing what a mom is supposed to, but I have quickly learned that not all moms are like Rose Cacibauda. She goes above and beyond for anything and everything. School parties, holidays, birthdays, summer plans, etc. There are a lot of articles about these "over-achieving moms" and I laugh every time I read one, because they have Rose Cacibauda written all over them. Not in a bad way. She just was/is a badass mom that has given her kids the world and 5 other planets. And not in the spoiled brat way, just in the really blessed way. I observe other moms with their kids and sometimes I almost feel guilty that I have it so darn good. I just love to brag about her. And now my awesome mom has turned out to be an even better best friend. My dad has always said, "You are JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER" and now it finally makes sense. It's scary and hilarious all at the same time.




3) Quotes from my 4yr olds:
Boy: Ms. Awexa we (meaning he & another girl in the class) got married!! She's my husband.
Me: Wife, baby. You're the husband, she's the wife because she's a girl.
*5 minutes later they're fighting over a toy*
Boy: (after stomping over to me) She said I have to share my stuff! Being married is NOT fun.
*10 minutes later*
Girl: Ms. Awexa boys are SO GROSS.
Me: True, they kinda are. But once you get past that they can be sweet too.
Girl: I think I should graduate preschool before I get married. 

When I was waking them up from naptime:
Me: Hi, sunshine. Get up and go potty, okay?
Girl: (gets up & throws herself to the ground) WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?! I JUST WANNA SWEEP (sleep) MS. AWEXAAAA.

After telling a girl she needed to sit on her spot on the carpet for circle time:
Girl: MS. AWEXA. YOU. WUIN (ruin). EVWYFING!!! (everything)

Girl: My sister says one day someone is gonna love everything about you and marry you!!
Me: Crazy, huh?
Girl: Yeah. Even your messy hair. I can't believe it either.

I love my job. We made these bunny masks I found on Pinterest and when they all put them on yesterday, I truly thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest. They were hopping around like bunnies all afternoon. I know it's just a temporary college job at a daycare, but I just love them so much. And we all know how much I love to love and how easily I get attached.

Happy Easter from Ms. Alexa's bunnies!!



4) Never let anyone dull your sparkle. 
It's been a ROUGH couple of weeks. You know, just those kind of days where you are suddenly 100% sure that you are going to fail at life and end up living under a tree or something.

I've been doing some confident boosters with my daycare kids lately, because I've started to see them be so mean to each other. One of my kids asked me, "Ms. Alexa, do you let people be mean to you and make you feel sad?"

Well yes, but you weren't supposed to ask me that question. 

People suck. Don't let anyone dull your sparkle!



5) My God loves everyone.
Speaking of not letting anyone dull your sparkle, it's been an exciting week in politics, huh?

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must LOVE ONE ANOTHER. By this EVERYONE WILL KNOW THAT YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES, IF YOU LOVE ONE ANOTHER." -John 13:34-35.

I put the really important parts in all caps to help ya out.

I know I live in the Deep South. I know everyone has their own opinions. But using God to be hateful is not something I understand. When it comes down to it-- I'm just trying to love God's people the way that He loves me.



HAPPY FRIDAY! Happy Easter! Happy Passover!
God LOVES you, no matter who you are or what you believe. And I love you too. xoxoxoxo.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alexa! I found you through Kelly's Korner. I'm a college student too, but I live in Massachusetts. And I guess I'm a "Cafeteria Catholic" too - I truly think God loves all of us and I'd rather spend my life trying to love all his people than worrying about "rules".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment!! I totally agree, and I DEFINITELY wish I lived up north! Working on getting out of MS as soon as I'm done with my undergrad. :)

      Delete