IT'S OVER! My first semester of college classes are over. I have three finals next week, but other than that I am D-O-N-E. I am so, so thankful this week is over for me! I feel like my life was a game show hosted by Satan himself this week. College vs Alexa. I won, in case you were wondering. :) I've been awake for almost 40 hours, but it feels so good to be finished! I was in the library until 3:30 this morning writing a ten page research paper on Pride and Prejudice. The BEST paper I've ever written, hands down. I was enjoying it a little too much. Then I studied for my physics lab final, and by the time I finished it was 6:30 am. My alarm goes off at 7, so I just didn't go to sleep. Praise Da LAWD for coffee and excedrin migraine! (Yes, Mom, I know I need to sleep more. Yes, I know this won't help me stay healthy. Yes, I am going to sleep tonight.)
Anyway, this semester has been filled with tons of.. uh.. interesting discoveries. These are probably the top ten though. Ahem:
1. I have a serious problem with accidentally playing footsie with strangers under the tables/cubicles in the library. It's ALWAYS a boy sitting across from me with his legs stretched out! They always think I'm flirting and doing it on purpose, and then they do the boy smile, smirk & nod thing. Little do they know I just have restless leg syndrome and the attention span of a five year old. That's a joke, peeps.
2. Having a lab instructor that likes you is FAB-U-LOUS. This means he will give you answers when you have NO clue what you're doing, you will receive better lab report grades than your lab partner even though your lab reports are identical (sorry, Melissa!), and he will also give you a 100 on your final as a Christmas present simply because he can't find the paper. Yeah, THAT HAPPENED. He's the bomb. What can I say, it pays to be pretty. :) Being a nice person helps too.
3. Looking for a new place to make out with your middle school luvahhh? No need to go to the movies anymore, just hit up MSU's library. There is a couple that has decided to sit right next to my area (YES, it is MINE. I have been going there all semester!) of the library and the only thing they study is the inside of each others mouths. "Hi, I was wondering, is it possible to increase security? I wrote a book that's up there, and instead of reading it people are.. well, they're rolling around in front of it." Name that tv show.
4. The asian ladies that swipe IDs during lunch at Perry LOVE to politely tell me I look God awful on a regular basis. Tuesdays/Thursdays are my bad days, so I usually don't have make-up on and my hair probably hasn't been brushed. Those are also the only days I get to eat lunch. They always ask me, "Are you feeling okay? You look like you're having a rough day." or "How are you sweetie? Tough morning?" or "You look completely drained. Have a good day!" Damn asians.
5. Josh Winter (my physics teacher) should be a model. Seriously. He always has a look on his face that reminds me of a model, even when he's just randomly walking down the hallway. It's glorious. My heart skips a few beats every time he talks to me. Not to mention he has a geeky, intense love for Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings. Can you say soul mates?
6. Taking an Excedrin Migraine after having 4 cups of coffee, two of which were from Starbucks, makes you jittery and extra cray cray. You will look and feel like you are having a seizure. I'm talking about a fish-out-of-water/sizzling bacon kind of seizure. Also, you will probably get weird looks from the people in the library.
7. College is a vicious cycle. Catching up in one class means falling behind in another. Studying for one class means you have less time to study for another. Earlier this week, I skipped my geography class so I could study for a psychology test that I couldn't study for earlier because I had a physical science test! And I wrote my entire research paper last night because I was too busy studying for my tests and didn't even want to think about my paper at the time. It's never ending!
8. My perspective on grades has changed A LOT. In high school, I was an all As kind of girl. When I said I did bad on something, I probably meant I made a 90-93. If I made a 99 on something, it secretly drove me CRAZY that I didn't get that one point. Yeah, I was THAT girl. I wasn't one of those ridiculous people who cried when they got a B, but it would make me pretty mad. And Cs? Um, the only C I ever saw on anything was the first and third letter of my last name. These days, however, things are a little different. I made a B (!!!!) on my physics test this week and HAPPY DANCED. I was slightly bummed that I didn't pull off an A even though I studied SO HARD, but physics just isn't my thing.
9. Waking up late gives you super powers. My walk to my physical science class is a good 10-15 minute walk depending on how fast I walk. However, there have been MANY times this semester where I wake up at 7:45/7:50 and somehow make it to class by 8. It's a gift, really. Also, hats and perfume are two wonderful inventions. Ya diggg?
10. For some reason I'm still unsure of, God has blessed me with the most incredible people! I have a wonderful, supportive fan club also known as my crazy family. My parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins.. they are the best of the best. :) Always sending sweet, encouraging texts/calls/FB messages and always ready to listen to one of my ridiculous rants! And each time I go home, I can always count on my mom to be standing by the door waiting to give me a mommy hug as if she hasn't seen me in years. :) I also have the most incredible best friends a girl could possibly ask for! Like, REAL ones! They watch out for me (when they're not almost getting us killed), make my days much brighter, bring me cupcakes, sit with me in the ER, carry in heavy stuff from my car, freeze to death while my sick/infected self keeps the room at 60 degrees in the winter, and even drive me all the way home when I'm too sick to drive myself. I have no clue what I did to deserve such wonderful friends! Feeling. The. Love. Thanks for errrrythang, peeps. :) You guys are daaaa best.
So there you go. I can NOT believe I am halfway through my freshman year of college. My life needs to SLOW DOWN! I don't want to be all grown up and stuff! Good luck to all my college friends who are dying this week and preparing for finals. I will definitely miss life in Starky, but I can't wait to be home with my family for Christmas! My brother and his girlfriend come home in 16 DAYS!!! I can't wait. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it! JT has been so helpful this semester. I can always count on him to have an answer to almost anything, and I love our middle of the night chit chats. I can't wait for him and Karley to be home where they belong for Christmas!
By the way, my friend/fellow cyber-stalker/soul mate just came out with her first book! It's called Ketchup is a Vegetable and Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves. You can buy it here. She's HI-LARIOUS. I just started reading it today and I'm already halfway through! She's an incredible writer and inspires me daily! She also has a blog.. READ IT. Love it. You will laugh until you cry and/or pee your pants. I always go and re-read a few of her posts when I'm having a bad day and need a good laugh. Her three beautiful, bubbly daughters give her plenty of hilarious material to write about. Stalk her on Facebook and Twitter. She's friendly, I promise. :) You can find her blog here! Check it out. You won't regret it, I promise.
40 hours without sleep makes for a delirious, cranky Alexa, so it is time. to. crash. Happy Holidays, beautiful people. :) Over and out.